Homemade Cream of Whatever Soup Recipe

I don’t normally buy cream soups, so this is perfect for me to keep on hand for cooking. I had some cubed steaks in the freezer from our 1/2 cow that we bought. I put them in the crockpot with the soup made from this mix. They were so good!

When we have deer meat, I also like to cook it in the crockpot with this cream soup. Sometimes deer meat will have a gamey taste, but cooking in milk takes the gamey taste away.

Cream of Whatever Soup

2 cups instant milk
3/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup instant chicken bouillon
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Combine these and store in an airtight container.

To use for soup, combine 1/3 C mix and 1-1/2 C water. Bring to a boil while stirring often. Add a vegetable for more flavor, such as diced celery, sliced mushrooms , or some diced broccoli.

This mix can be substituted in any recipe calling for canned cream soup. Mix 1/3 cup mix with 1 1/4 cups water. Boil for a few minutes, stirring well to prevent sticking.

For more recipes, visit:

giveaways

Be Sociable, Share!

Comments

1. Gina Alfani says:

Happy Monday Linda . . .

Thanks for posting this recipe . . . I use cream of whatever soup in the can for many of my recipes. Can't wait to try this!

Have an awesome week . . . Gina

2. Keli says:

i bookmarked this! I have always wanted to make homemade cream of soups, but I can't fathom the idea of adding an extra step to everything. This is PERFECT. :) Thanks for sharing!

I found you from whats cooking wednesdays :)

3. Treasures from a Shoebox says:

Thank you for posting this! I NEED this recipe, as there are several in our family who have gluten issues (commercial soups contain wheat flour to thicken). I will need to substitute arrow root powder for the corn starch, as I am corn-intolerant, but this recipe sounds WONDERFUL!

4. rmboys2 says:

I've been hoping to find a recipe like this. THanks for sharing! I can't wait to try it out.

Renee'

5. Kim says:

Thanks for sharing. Defintely will use this.

6. April says:

Oh my–thank you! I can't have wheat flour and get so frustrated whenever a recipe calls for cream of something soup. This will be a lifesaver!

7. Stephani says:

What a great recipe to have on hand. I can't wait to try it!

Thanks for sharing with Crafty Friday!

8. A Joyful Noise says:

This recipe goes into my collection. Thank you for a wonderful tasteful and money saving idea!

9. Courtney says:

This is great for those moments you're digging through the cabinets and realize you don't have a certain soup!

Thanks so much for sharing at What's Cooking Wednesday. Be sure to stop by and link up more great recipes!

Trackbacks

1. [...] Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup- I’ve made my own Cream of Whatever Soup Mix before, but never with broth like [...]

2. [...] Sauce for Canning Spicy Saltines Homemade Cream of Something Soup – I’ve used a dry homemade cream pf whatever soup for years. This looks like a great recipe for “fresh”, it even has freezing [...]