Saturday on the Farm

I have more Daffodils blooming. These are in the front bulb garden.

daffodil

Last year, my Tulips didn’t bloom. This year, I have one.

Tulip Bud

Tulip

Tulip

Beautiful! And here’s the Tulip and the Daffodils together.

Daffodil and Tulip

The Dogwood trees are getting ready to bloom.

Dogwood

The Red Buds are blooming!

Red Bud Tree

Red Bud Tree

Did you know the Red Bed is in the pea family? I didn’t either until this week. See the beautiful little flowers? They are edible! You can eat them raw in salads. The kids and I were nibbling on the tree today. I think the flowers taste like lettuce. They would be nice in a salad.

Red Bud Flower

You can also make jelly out of the flowers! I have my flowers soaking right now to make this Red Bud Jelly. The pods that develop on the tree are edible, too.  They are like snow peas when they are young and green. We will be trying them as soon as they are ready. Have you ever eaten Red Bud flowers or pods?

The Dogwood trees are getting ready to bloom.

Dogwood

Here are a few links I found interesting and helpful:
10 Tips For Growing Onions From Seed
5 Newbie Gardening Tips for a Successful Season
Homemade Wasp Trap

Seed Starters Out of Paper Pulp
How to Grow Carrots
36 Things You Can Compost

For more Farm & Garden posts, please visit:

Homestead Barn Hop
Bloomin’ Tuesday
Fertilizer Friday/ Flaunt Your Flowers

OutdoorWednesdaybutton54333333333332

Be Sociable, Share!

Comments

1. Beth says:

I had no idea that redbuds flowers are edible! They would look lovely in a salad.

2. Cherry says:

The Tulip and Daffodils together is so pretty..
    Have a wonderful week., Cherry

3. Lady Farmer says:

Linda~
    I know next to nothing about Red Buds, but edible flowers do interest me. How fun to discover a tasty edible you didn’t even know you had! The flowers would be so pretty, and tasty in a salad! And I have heard of Violet Jelly, but not Red Bud Jelly! I bet the filled jars will sparkle like jewels!

4. Jean says:

Love the daffodil! Beautiful flowering trees and bushes. They really mean spring to me. Happy Bloomin’ Tuesday! Jean
    Jean recently posted..It’s Bloomin’ Tuesday!My Profile

5. Diana says:

Redbuds are my favorite tree — they are very common in my part of the country. But I had no idea the flowers were edible. Ours are all done blooming now, but next year I’ll have to remember for a nice addition to spring salads.
    Diana recently posted..Little Free Library movement!My Profile

6. Darla says:

I love that Daff!!!!
    Darla recently posted..Fertilizer/Flaunt FridayMy Profile

7. Tootsie says:

that reminds me…I need to go to the farm and dig myself a dogwood or two…I love them!
    things look great in your neck of the woods…happy spring!
    Once again I am just loving the tour of all the gardens that have linked in to my little party! I am so excited to visit each and every post…they are all so inspiring and I am NEVER disappointed! The creative gardens and colorful displays that I am lucky to see are inspirations that I would never have found had I not found each of the gardeners I see online! Thank you so much for sharing your garden with my Friday Flaunt this week…I do hope you will link in again soon!
    This post is being shared on my Tootsie Time Facebook page too just so you are aware.
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

8. Paula says:

Look at all of your great blooms! So fun to see what is just ahead here – thanks for sharing! Paula in Idaho
    Paula recently posted..Progress in the GreenhouseMy Profile

Trackbacks

1. [...] mentioned Red Bud Jelly in my last Saturday on the Farm post. I was able to finish a batch yesterday. While I think the Red Bud flowers themselves taste [...]